Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Work Benches

Chronicle for and repository of my research into acquiring a "mechtonics" work bench.

2010.05.12
I used my Second Life account ("Stobor Robonaught") to prototype a part of my desk and then today with some help from my buddy we cut some of the pieces out of a good clean "B/C" grade of birch-veneered plywood. While I was "in-world" I took two pictures of the prototyped section (the left side cabinet and draw-fronts) of the desk and I'll have them posted here as soon as my ImageShack account gets setup and I populate it with them. I'm using plywood because as far as I'm concerned it makes a far superior product structurally, when properly constructed, than particle board or MDF, but it's also considerably lighter when using products of the same dimensions - I will quite readily give a nod to MDF though in regards to providing a superior finishing surface to plywood when applying paint or other surface coatings where the wood grain doesn't need to or shouldn't show. In keeping the cabinetry light I'm going a bit further by using 1/2" plywood rather than the 3/4" thickness I would normally use to make it even lighter yet, although I am adding reinforcing strips of the same material to ensure structural integrity - it's a bit more work that way but, then again, it'll be a better product than one constructed using standard practices when it's done.

Just logged into ImageShack before posting this, uploaded the images and here they are as well:



Functionality:
Workspace:
Hand tools
Lighting
Monitor
Mounted magnifying lamp
Oscilloscope
Pencils, pens, post-it notes, etc
Power strip
PSU
Soldering Iron

Storage:
Keyboard pullout shelf
Multi-function printer/scanner/etc draw
Miscellaneous storage draw
Paper files storage draw
Storage bins for small electrical/mechanical parts

2010.05.06
I've decided to build my own work bench, although I'll combine it's functionality with that of a computer desk. Up above I've started a list of the my usage requirements as I see them currently. As I develop plans for it I'll share them here along with photos of it's construction once I begin that project.

No comments:

Post a Comment